Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. HELP! 9mth not sleeping in cot

HELP! 9mth not sleeping in cot Rss

Hi Mum's,

i have a beautiful 9mth old DS. He slept through the night from 3mths till about 7mths. From 7mths he started waking up once or twice through the night which i would BF him and he would fall back to sleep,i would then put him back in the cot and he would sleep till about 7ish.

Last week he had an ear infection, so to keep an eye on him i let him sleep with us. now that he's better, once he falls asleep and i put him down in his cot, he wakes back up, stands at the edge of his cot and cries.
DS is not too hot/cold, hungry or sick.

now he will only stay asleep in our bed and still wakes for a BF during the night. Sometimes i wake between 1-3am and try putting him back in his cot with the same result.

Is this normal? What can i do to get him out of this habbit. Any advice is welcome.

Sleep deprived.

Hi Mum's,

i have a beautiful 9mth old DS. He slept through the night from 3mths till about 7mths. From 7mths he started waking up a couple of times through the night which i would BF him and he would fall back to sleep,i would then put him back in the cot and he would sleep till about 7ish.

Last week he had an ear infection, so to keep an eye on him i let him sleep with us. now that he's better, once he falls asleep and i put him down in his cot, he wakes back up, stands at the edge of his cot and cries.
DS is not too hot/cold, hungry or sick.

now he will only stay asleep in our bed and still wakes for a couple of BF during the night. Sometimes i wake between 1-3am and try putting him back in his cot with the same result.i dont get much sleep when he's with us.

Is this normal? What can i do to get him out of our bed and into the cot. Any advice is welcome.

Sleep deprived.
Hi Mum's

I really need some advice, can anybody HELP!
Hi Sleepdeprived,

Bub sleeping in your bed is only a problem if it is something that you don't want to do. Don't let anyone tell you that it is the wrong thing - because you need to do what is right for you and your family.

My bub slept in my bed from age 5 months till approx 18 months when she transitioned smoothly into her own bed. She hated being in the cot (ie. would scream, and scream), but would sleep fairly solidly in bed with me.

Please let me know if you would like some tips about sleeping safely with your bub.
I have been through a similar situation with my 16 mth old DD except it was with her day sleep....I would put her in her cot with her music playing (as I normally do) and she would throw her dummy, bang the blinds, scream, stand up and shake the rail and cry. She was happy to sleep in her cot of a night time!!

After 4 days of her not having her day sleep and me (being newly pregnant and highly fatigued) not getting my nap, I tried rocking her of to sleep and it worked until i put her in her cot or in any bed for that matter. Me at my wits end walked out and left hubby to deal with her and he just left her in her cot and she put herself to sleep within 30 mins.

I know its hard to listen to them cry but sometimes it works....you could try that but just keep going in (say every 5 mins) a reassuring him that your still there and reinforce that it is bed time (use que words if that helps) and repeat it until he goes to sleep/calms down.

I also recommend a book called "no cry sleep solutions" (and i cannot for the life of me remember the author) it helped me in the earlier months with setting routines!!!

All the best and remember, no matter how sleep deprived and grumpy you may be, your a great mum and your gut instinct is generally right!!!
Hi Mum's,

Thank you so much for your replies. i was feeling like i was the only one which was stressing me out. I would love some tips on safe sleping in our bed, it will make me feel more comfortable. and your right, what works for us is ok! Thanks again!
Sign in to follow this topic