Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Baby's Health
  5. What are your top tips for treating eczema?

What are your top tips for treating eczema? Lock Rss

Eczema is never pleasant but there are some tried and tested ways to ease the symptoms...what has worked best for you?
Oatmeal baths or a cup of bleach un the bath once a fortnight!
Moisturise and moisturise some more. Dry skin is so much more prone to flare ups.
My boy gets real bad sometimes. I was told not to bath too often as it can dry out skin. Every 2-3 days is fine but for peace of mind clean bub's bottom and face with a wet cloth everyday. Moisturize morning, noon and night making sure to put a thicker layer on really bad area's. If it doesn't get better after a few days or starts to crack and bleed, see GP for some steroid cream. I also found using a barrier cream for nappy areas instead of regular moisturizer/sudocrem works wonders as it stops wee and poo getting into the sore areas and making them worse. Only found this out after bub got a bad ammonia burn on his manly parts from a bad batch of nappies.
hi my doc told me to try on my 5 month old son a mixture of QV Cream and vegetable oil but you have to put it on straight after a bath while they are still wet it soaks in better with water my doc said you can get the chemist to mix it up but I just did it myself iv found it to works really well iv been doing it for about a week now and my sons eczema is nearly gone
My best friend’s daughter gets eczema on and off. I don’t think there is any Conventional medicine that offers a cure for eczema. You need to find out triggers or allergies that could be culprit. In my friend’s daughter case it is food allergy. Some clothing is made using several chemicals, and these chemicals have a high chance of being a trigger that worsens your baby's skin condition. Use a moisturising soap with no perfume; in fact avoid any skin irritant as far as possible. Sprinkling a bit of baking soda, uncooked oatmeal, or colloidal oatmeal (made specifically for baths) into the tub when you wash your baby also helps. All are wonderful natural eczema treatments.
If you have eczema, it is important to take good care of your skin. Take warm (not hot!) baths on a regular basis and immediately applying moisturisers afterwards will help keep your skin moist. With medication you need to take other prevention as well such as Wear cotton or soft fabrics. Avoid rough, scratchy fibres and tight clothing. When possible, avoid rapid changes of temperature and activities that make you sweat. Over-the-counter hydrocortisone is often used first for mild eczema treatment. You may need different strengths of topical steroids depending on the location and severity of the rash. Pimecrolimus and tacrolimus, when applied to the skin, treat moderate to severe eczema in some patients. These medications work by reducing inflammation, but they are not steroids.
I find that I have to use earth friendly dishwashing liquids, sensitive detergent for washing clothes and soap for sensitive skin. I use no creams, make-up or moisturiser or anything like that as it flares things up (even creams meant for eczema make it worse). No watches, jewellery or rings - these cause flare ups too.
Sign in to follow this topic